04 June 2007

Where are my pirate pants?


The groovy youngsters about town who think that the 80s were all about the "angular" rock a la the Gang of Four, skinny ties and tight black jeans may be in for a rude awakening. The National Gallery of Victoria here in Melbourne is running an exhibition of fashion by Brisbane designer Katie Pye.
I never wore this kind of thing- I escaped the worst excesses, with only one or two dodgy haircuts and a "Blue Monday" 12 inch- but I knew plenty of people who did. The cross-buttoned "Spinnaker" shirt in particular brought back some strong memories.
There's also the added bonus of a video installation, which includes not one but two of Pseudo Echo's efforts. They were big customers of hers, apparently, but frankly, the Strokes they ain't. Which isn't saying much.

3 comments:

  1. I confess, I WAS an 80's fashion tragedy - my 2 biggest regrets tho' - perming my hair and giving away my Adam & The Ants album !!sadly, I still miss that album..(was that you I just heard choking on your beer?!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have "Dirk Wears White Socks" & "Kings Of The Wild Frontier". Did you give away the one with "Prince Charming" on it? No great loss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'twas "Kings Of The Wild Frontier"..what an idiot I was!!
    I used to see a Heavy Metal band (Blackjack) back in the 80's that did a cover version of the 'Ants Jolly Roger...farkin' funny!!
    "hoist the Jolly Roger
    It's your money that we want
    And your money we shall have"

    ha..

    ReplyDelete

Make your mark, pup.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.