28 May 2008

Janine Hall

My friend Janine died last week. While the circumstances are still a little cloudy, they’re not really important. What matters is that she’s gone.

Born in New Zealand, she was an enthusiastic and notable part of the Australian music scene. She was a member of Melbourne’s legendary Young Charlatans back in the early days, playing her bass alongside Rowland Howard (pre-Boys Next Door/Birthday Party) Ollie Olsen (pre-Whirlywirld/NO/Max Q) and Jeffrey Wegener (pre-Laughing Clowns). Janine later joined the Saints for two albums (“The Monkey Puzzle” and “Out In The Jungle”- yes, that’s her playing on “Always” and “Follow The Leader”) and plenty of live shows in the early 80s, before moving onto Mick Thomas’ Weddings Parties Anything. That’s some CV- and that’s only the edited highlights.
She trained and worked as an acupuncturist in recent years, and as a sceptic I was surprised by the difference a few treatments from her made to my tinnitus. And she never really let me pay her for them, either, preferring a few beers and a game or two of pool at the Tote to cash.
Her funeral is private, but there will be a wake held for friends at idGAFF on Thursday afternoon, 29 May, from 3.00 til 7.00pm. See you there.

Pic- Janine and co. on the back cover of "The Monkey Puzzle"




Update- this just came to my attention:
There will now be a funeral service for Janine Hall.
The service will be at Lonergan WG Raven at 187 Queens Parade Clifton Hill at 2pm sharp on Thursday May 29.
A wake will follow at IDGAFF 160 Hoddle St Abbotsford from 3pm.
All those who knew Janine are welcome.

Please pass on the info.

6 comments:

  1. Hi. I was a close friend of Janine's during her schooling as an acupuncturist back in the late ninties... I only just heard now that she has passed and so has been searching for details... if you could advise me of her partner Michaels details to pass on my condolences I would greatly appreciate it.. becgosling@hotmail.com. Losing her is a great loss to the earth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thank you for posting this. I looked for some info about waht had happened and you were the only person who cared enough to write anything. She was a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to just say that Janine was an awesome bass player. Thanks for the great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was Janines partner for 17 years.The last16 months we were seperated but still in contact and towards the end we where starting to hag out and have a good laugh. A day does not go by when I dont think of her and miss her dearly.I work in Abbotsford so I am forever being reminded of Janine and our time together. I have only just dicovered the site.I will post some recient and old photo's.Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Janines sister Kathy. Nearly 1 year has passed and I think of my zany,crazy sister everyday. Still no Coroners report!!! Love ya sis. XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to only have just discovered this posting. Her work as a bassist was a huge step forward for women in rock, and she was a participant in a glorious period of post-punk. I am crestfallen to learn of her untimely death. Condolensces to all those who were close to her.

    ReplyDelete

Make your mark, pup.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.